- He was on his uppers when i came across him .
- He is but the ruin of what he was .
- He looked completely down and out .
- Mr. foley was down and out after he lost many friends .
- The fates mess around with the people who have the most to lose .
- I believe he is the youngest son of an earl, but he seems to have come in the world .
- It was rather absurd, and somehow sinister, to see this social pretence in those poverty-stricken surroundings on a borneo river .
- If i feel poverty i will think of wealth to come
- Dog whimpers ah , that ' s better . a starving one , i hope
- [ dog whimpers ] ah , that ' s better . a starving one , i hope