- She uttered the phrase with acid sarcasm .
- This was a shrewd dig .
- With sinclair lewis, it became simply burning satire .
- What dark, cruel comments upon life and vanities .
- There was a good deal of effective sarcasm in her keeping him in the dark .
- But to no one would she grant her confidence, answering all taunts with bitter sarcasm, and all serious expostulation with sullen denial, or with floods of tears .
- Two bitter ironies serve to deepen the gloom
- An anglo - irish satirist and political pamphleteer , considered one of the greatest masters of english prose and one of the most impassioned satirists of human folly and pretension
- But , in default of that , it behoved her to do something ; to be their providence ; for to tess , as to not a few millions of others , there was ghastly satire in the poet s lines -