音標：[ kʌt ] 讀音:
過去式:cut 完成式:cut 名詞複數:cuts 進行式:cutting
- He cut off a meter of cloth from the roll .
- He was badly cut up by the death of his son .
- We need a man of his cut in this firm .
- He cut a poor figure on a public occasion .
- I expect to have my work cut out for me .
- The violent storms caused several power cuts
- The scene cuts from the shop to the street .
- I regret being compelled to cut you down .
- He had cut me ever since my marriage .
- Can't you learn to cut out the slang ?
- separated into parts or laid open or penetrated with a sharp edge or instrument; "the cut surface was mottled"; "cut tobacco"; "blood from his cut forehead"; "bandages on her cut wrists"
- (of pages of a book) having the folds of the leaves trimmed or slit; "the cut pages of the book"
- fashioned or shaped by cutting; "a well-cut suit"; "cut diamonds"; "cut velvet"
- (used of grass or vegetation) cut down with a hand implement or machine; "the smell of newly mown hay"
- made neat and tidy by trimming; "his neatly trimmed hair"
- with parts removed; "the drastically cut film"
- mixed with water; "sold cut whiskey"; "a cup of thinned soup"
- (used of rates or prices) reduced usually sharply; "the slashed prices attracted buyers"
- (of a male animal) having the testicles removed; "a cut horse"
- cut off the testicles (of male animals such as horses); "the vet gelded the young horse"
- grow through the gums; "The new tooth is cutting"
- have grow through the gums; "The baby cut a tooth"
- cut and assemble the components of; "edit film"; "cut recording tape"
同義詞：edit, edit out,
- lessen the strength or flavor of a solution or mixture; "cut bourbon"
同義詞：dilute, thin, thin out, reduce,
- reduce in scope while retaining essential elements; "The manuscript must be shortened"
同義詞：abridge, foreshorten, abbreviate, shorten, contract, reduce,
- cease, stop; "cut the noise"; "We had to cut short the conversation"
- cut down on; make a reduction in; "reduce your daily fat intake"; "The employer wants to cut back health benefits"
同義詞：reduce, cut down, cut back, trim, trim down, trim back, bring down,
- have a reducing effect; "This cuts into my earnings"
- dissolve by breaking down the fat of; "soap cuts grease"
- weed out unwanted or unnecessary things; "We had to lose weight, so we cut the sugar from our diet"
同義詞：prune, rationalize, rationalise,
- shorten as if by severing the edges or ends of; "cut my hair"
- refuse to acknowledge; "She cut him dead at the meeting"
同義詞：ignore, disregard, snub,
- make out and issue; "write out a check"; "cut a ticket"; "Please make the check out to me"
同義詞：write out, issue, make out,
- penetrate injuriously; "The glass from the shattered windshield cut into her forehead"
- fell by sawing; hew; "The Vietnamese cut a lot of timber while they occupied Cambodia"
- reap or harvest; "cut grain"
- hit (a ball) with a spin so that it turns in the opposite direction; "cut a Ping-Pong ball"
- cause to stop operating by disengaging a switch; "Turn off the stereo, please"; "cut the engine"; "turn out the lights"
同義詞：switch off, turn off, turn out,
- separate with or as if with an instrument; "Cut the rope"
- divide a deck of cards at random into two parts to make selection difficult; "Wayne cut"; "She cut the deck for a long time"
- make an incision or separation; "cut along the dotted line"
- allow incision or separation; "This bread cuts easily"
- function as a cutting instrument; "This knife cuts well"
- style and tailor in a certain fashion; "cut a dress"
- perform or carry out; "cut a caper"
- form or shape by cutting or incising; "cut paper dolls"
- form by probing, penetrating, or digging; "cut a hole"; "cut trenches"; "The sweat cut little rivulets into her face"
- create by duplicating data; "cut a disk"; "burn a CD"
- record a performance on (a medium); "cut a record"
- make a recording of; "cut the songs"; "She cut all of her major titles again"
- stop filming; "cut a movie scene"
- make an abrupt change of image or sound; "cut from one scene to another"
- pass through or across; "The boat cut the water"
- pass directly and often in haste; "We cut through the neighbor''s yard to get home sooner"
- turn sharply; change direction abruptly; "The car cut to the left at the intersection"; "The motorbike veered to the right"
同義詞：swerve, sheer, curve, trend, veer, slue, slew,
- move (one''s fist); "his opponent cut upward toward his chin"
- give the appearance or impression of; "cut a nice figure"
- discharge from a group; "The coach cut two players from the team"
- be able to manage or manage successfully; "I can''t hack it anymore"; "she could not cut the long days in the office"
- intentionally fail to attend; "cut class"
- an unexcused absence from class; "he was punished for taking too many cuts in his math class"
- the act of reducing the amount or number; "the mayor proposed extensive cuts in the city budget"
- the act of shortening something by chopping off the ends; "the barber gave him a good cut"
同義詞：cutting, cutting off,
- the act of cutting something into parts; "his cuts were skillful"; "his cutting of the cake made a terrible mess"
- the act of penetrating or opening open with a sharp edge; "his cut in the lining revealed the hidden jewels"
- the division of a deck of cards before dealing; "he insisted that we give him the last cut before every deal"; "the cutting of the cards soon became a ritual"
- (sports) a stroke that puts reverse spin on the ball; "cuts do not bother a good tennis player"
- in baseball; a batter''s attempt to hit a pitched ball; "he took a vicious cut at the ball"
同義詞：baseball swing, swing,
- a refusal to recognize someone you know; "the snub was clearly intentional"
同義詞：snub, cold shoulder,
- a trench resembling a furrow that was made by erosion or excavation
- a canal made by erosion or excavation
- the style in which a garment is cut; "a dress of traditional cut"
- the omission that is made when an editorial change shortens a written passage; "an editor''s deletions frequently upset young authors"; "both parties agreed on the excision of the proposed clause"
- a distinct selection of music from a recording or a compact disc; "he played the first cut on the cd"; "the title track of the album"
- (film) an immediate transition from one shot to the next; "the cut from the accident scene to the hospital seemed too abrupt"
- a remark capable of wounding mentally; "the unkindest cut of all"
- a piece of meat that has been cut from an animal carcass
同義詞：cut of meat,
- a share of the profits; "everyone got a cut of the earnings"
- a wound made by cutting; "he put a bandage over the cut"
同義詞：gash, slash, slice,
- a step on some scale; "he is a cut above the rest"