音標：[ ə:l ] 發音：
- The earl was a weak and hesitating man .
- Earls , princes , and kings belong to the nobility .
- The english college is under earl marshal .
- It was an awful blow to the venerable earl .
- She never talked too loudly of earls and countesses .
- "marry the earl of walden," her father said abruptly .
- It was the family seat, and the earl always lived there .
- Earl newcomb was a tall, slender, shockheaded young man .
- This reply brought the earl in person to becky's apartment .
- "no, mate, it's only the earl of walden" he walked on .
An earl is a member of the nobility. The title is Anglo-Saxon, akin to the Scandinavian form jarl, and meant "chieftain", particularly a chieftain set to rule a territory in a king's stead.