- A top hat is a rare sight these days .
- William put on his top hat in readiness .
- Hollis knew that these people had grave doubts about top hat .
- If top hat and fedora were phony, what of the leads they gave to penetration of british security ?
- With a smile under a high top hat , hillman
A top hat, beaver hat, high hat, silk hat, cylinder hat, chimney pot hat or stove pipe hat (sometimes also known by the nickname "topper") is a tall, flat-crowned, broad-brimmed hat, predominantly worn from the latter part of the 18th to the middle of the 20th century. , it is usually worn only with morning dress or white tie, in dressage, as servants' or doormen's livery, or as a fashion statement.