- A winch allows the birds to be lowered or raised .
- The long row of righting cables stretched to winches on ford island .
- The winch was again put into operation and one of the men started up the truck .
- Eventually chains were fixed to one end of the dish and a powerful winch was put into operation .
- Thomas squatted on the forward deck, whistling tunelessly, polishing the bronze spool of the anchor winch .
- lifting device consisting of a horizontal cylinder turned by a crank on which a cable or rope winds
- pull or lift up with or as if with a winch; "winch up the slack line"