- Systematic IRA codes are considered a form of LDPC code.
- LDPC codes have been considered for this purpose for their faster decoding time.
- Predating LDPC codes in terms of practical application, they now provide similar performance.
- Implementation of LDPC codes has lagged behind that of other codes, notably turbo codes.
- SCCCs provide performance comparable to other iteratively decodable codes including turbo codes and LDPC codes.
- Systems using LDPC codes therefore typically employ additional interleaving across the symbols within a code word.
- Below is a graph fragment of an example LDPC code using Forney's factor graph notation.
- Litigation over whether the DVB-S2 LDPC code is a form of IRA code is ongoing.
- The analysis of modern iterated codes, like turbo codes and LDPC codes, typically assumes an independent distribution of errors.
- All layers except the last use an LDPC error correction code, which is fast but has a chance of failure.