- They may have also excavated one of the Aubrey Holes beneath it.
- A white disc marks the location of Aubrey hole number 21 on the western side of the southern entrance to Stonehenge.
- It has been suggested that the Aubrey holes were originally intended to be postholes containing timbers or stones but this is uncertain.
- That the Station Stones stood on top of the earlier Aubrey Holes meant that many of Hawkins alignments between the two features were illusory.
- The same article by Atkinson contains further criticisms of the interpretation of Aubrey Holes as astronomical markers, and of Fred Hoyle s work.
- It's difficult to find aubrey hole in a sentence. 用aubrey hole造句挺難的
- He directed excavations at Stonehenge 1979-80, and co-directed the excavation there of one of the Aubrey Holes in 2008.
- An early attempt to analyse the positions of the Aubrey holes was undertaken by Gerald Hawkins a professor of astronomy at Boston University in the 1960s using an IBM 7090 computer.
- In August 2008, further excavation of Aubrey Hole 7 by Mike Parker-Pearson, Mike Pitts and Julian Richards led the archaeologists to suggest that the 56 holes held Welsh bluestones.
- Hawley identified the Aubrey Holes for the first time, as well as the Y and Z Holes and a variety of other postholes and stone holes within the centre of the monument.
- This diminishes the astronomical significance of the number of the Aubrey Holes and their circular arrangement and tends to suggest that any astronomical purpose for the site may have been no more than symbolic.
- Eventually he settled on three phases : the earthwork enclosure, a large stone circle now vanished that supposedly stood in the Aubrey Holes, and finally a larger megaliths phase involving the extant stones as Stonehenge 3.
- Analogous timber circles at sites such as Woodhenge have influenced this interpretation; the positioning of the Aubrey Hole circle relative to the earth bank and ditch at Stonehenge is reproduced at similar sites with rings of timber postholes.
- Hawkins argued that the Aubrey Holes were used to keep track of this long time period and could accurately predict the recurrence of a lunar eclipse on the same azimuth, that which aligned with the Heel Stone, every 56 years.
- Hawley named them the Y and Z because for a short time he had earlier labeled the recently discovered Aubrey Holes the X holes . 18 of the Y Holes have been excavated and 16 of the Z Holes.
- Hawley proved, from a thin stratum of stone chip debris he called the Stonehenge Layer, that the earthwork features, the Aubrey Holes and some of the other postholes and burials constituted earlier phases of activity that predated the erection of the megaliths.