- Coowperwood surveyed his friends with a level gaze .
- Butler, of course, was strong for cowperwood's prosecution .
- The eyes of cowperwood said more than any words ever could .
- He looked upon cowperwood now as a dark and dangerous man .
- "do you know what the time is?" said mr. groves .
- "well, that is an odd name," said cowperwood, blandly .
- Cowperwood appeared to be reasonably sincere in the matter .
- Cowperwood meditated .
- He wrung his hands, and cowperwood shook his head sadly .
- In the face of this, however, cowperwood was not disturbed .