- The troops for the landing were taken from alexander 's force and that put a brake on his operations .
- The end of the war inevitably put the brakes on many promising developments in naval aviation .
- The trucks were themselves pulled off the rails, apparently by the brake rods connecting them to the car body .
- Another important brake on progress was the fact that france's only likely naval rival, italy, had no carriers .
- Once the machine started skidding they accelerated its descent over the precipice rather than braked it in time .
- Drum brakes are prone to a reduction in the braking effect, known as 'fate', caused by overheating of the linings and the drum .
- The trunnion assembly is supported by air bearings at the end of each arm and is held in position by brake shoes at each bearings .
- This was loaded with lumber and the carrier driving the mules leaned back and put on the thick wooden brakes as we passed .