- Her legs suddenly gave way and she fell to the floor .
- Only once did the faithful wife give way to emotion .
- She gave way to tears .
- The clerk lifted the final bag for her, its bottom gave way .
- The dam gave way .
- They gave way to gloomy thoughts over their injustices .
- In attempting to fasten a nail to one of the old walls, it gave way .
- Soon his passion sank down to grief, and grief gave way to melancholy .
- These unwarlike auxiliaries gave way like cheese to a knife .
- The brown of her complexion gave way on the cheek to a perceptible flush .