音標：[ stɔp ] 讀音:
過去式:stopped 完成式:stopped 名詞複數:stops 進行式:stopping
- My watch has stopped -- it needs fixing .
- The wheels of government never stop turning .
- I request them to stop making such a noise ..
- The bus stops right in front of our house .
- My home is only a bus stop from the college .
- Doctors were summoned to stop the contagion .
- I stopped in front of the villa rossa .
- We stopped to let the horses to have a feed .
- The snow has stopped , yet it 's getting colder .
- Every sentence should have its proper stop .
- a brief stay in the course of a journey; "they made a stopover to visit their friends"
- the act of stopping something; "the third baseman made some remarkable stops"; "his stoppage of the flow resulted in a flood"
- an obstruction in a pipe or tube; "we had to call a plumber to clear out the blockage in the drainpipe"
同義詞：blockage, block, closure, occlusion, stoppage,
- a restraint that checks the motion of something; "he used a book as a stop to hold the door open"
- a mechanical device in a camera that controls size of aperture of the lens; "the new cameras adjust the diaphragm automatically"
- (music) a knob on an organ that is pulled to change the sound quality from the organ pipes; "the organist pulled out all the stops"
- a punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop or after abbreviations; "in England they call a period a stop"
同義詞：period, point, full stop, full point,
- a consonant produced by stopping the flow of air at some point and suddenly releasing it; "his stop consonants are too aspirated"
同義詞：stop consonant, occlusive, plosive consonant, plosive speech sound, plosive,
- the event of something ending; "it came to a stop at the bottom of the hill"
- a spot where something halts or pauses; "his next stop is Atlanta"
- the state of inactivity following an interruption; "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
同義詞：arrest, check, halt, hitch, stay, stoppage,
- prevent completion; "stop the project"; "break off the negotiations"
同義詞：break, break off, discontinue,
- stop and wait, as if awaiting further instructions or developments; "Hold on a moment!"
- hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
同義詞：check, turn back, arrest, contain, hold back,
- seize on its way; "The fighter plane was ordered to intercept an aircraft that had entered the country''s airspace"
- render unsuitable for passage; "block the way"; "barricade the streets"; "stop the busy road"
同義詞：barricade, block, blockade, block off, block up, bar,
- cause to stop; "stop a car"; "stop the thief"
- come to a halt, stop moving; "the car stopped"; "She stopped in front of a store window"
- interrupt a trip; "we stopped at Aunt Mary''s house"; "they stopped for three days in Florence"
- stop from happening or developing; "Block his election"; "Halt the process"
同義詞：halt, block, kibosh,
- have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical; "the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"; "Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"; "My property ends by the bushes"; "The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
同義詞：end, finish, terminate, cease,
- put an end to a state or an activity; "Quit teasing your little brother"
同義詞：discontinue, cease, give up, quit, lay off,