- A block and tackle system amplifies the tension force in the rope to lift heavy loads.
- Illustrated versions of Hero's " book on raising heavy weights " show early block and tackle systems.
- Timbers over long were shipped from Oregon to support the block and tackle system used to construct the monument.
- He used wooden planks and a block and tackle system to move the stones and to set them in place.
- The weapon uses several different bows instead of one bow with a tackle system to achieve a higher acceleration of the sinew via the multiplication with each bow's pulling effect.
- We know that the Greeks and Romans used block and tackle systems on winch cranes and treadmill cranes-see the " History of cranes " section in our crane ( machine ) article.
- In both tented and arena circuses, crane-bars or frames stabilized by guy cables, hung from fiber rope block and tackle systems are common, as are systems supporting and tensioning safety nets.
- Spearfishing ( also known as competition spearfishing ) as an underwater sport involves the hunting and capture of fish underwater using breath-hold technique and a tackle system such as a speargun as part of a tournament of fixed duration involving other competitors.